Important Information for Applicants
Pastoral Care of International Students
Sonny Lu (Managing Director) can be contacted 24/7 (any time of the day or night) on +64 21 0500 461.
Emmie Aban (Administration Manager) is the designated staff member for pastoral care and can be contacted on +64 022 010 4253.
New Zealand education providers have an important role in ensuring the well-being of their international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of education providers for international students. This ensures students coming from other countries to study in New Zealand are well informed, safe, and properly cared for.
Students and their families can expect education providers to:
- provide clear, sufficient and accurate information so you can make informed choices about your education
- give you clear, understandable information on your legal obligations and rights, including refund policies, and termination of your enrolment under any contracts you enter into with the provider
- check that you have the prescribed insurance cover
- provide a safe and supportive environment for study
- as far as practicable, ensure you live in accommodation that is safe and appropriate
- provide you with a comprehensive orientation programme to support you in your study and outline your obligations
- monitor their agents to ensure they provide you with reliable information and advice about studying, working and living in New Zealand
- ensure that the educational instruction on offer is appropriate for your expectations, English language proficiency, and academic capability
- have proper policy and processes in place to safeguard students’ fees paid and be able to provide an appropriate refund if you withdraw or your course closes
- ensure you have access to proper and fair procedures for dealing with grievances (concerns or complaints).
Full details of what is covered can be found in the Code itself. Click here for a copy of Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students 2016 in English or other languages.
Kauri Academy has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. Copies of the Code are available on request or from the NZQA website at Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students 2016.